So its the start of November 2016, the Nintendo Wii (not WiiU) is yesterdays news, but you can pick them up for under £20 (about $25) with WiiMotes and all types of absurd accessories, so that makes them great cheap games consoles for younger members of the family, and with easy to access back-ups around the internet a great introduction into gaming without a big expense on you.
The problem is there are MILLIONS of Wii modification guides out there, with outdated links and information, so here I share with you how I modded my own Wii(s), here on this day in November, 2016.
MODDING THE NINTENDO WII
So firstly I set up the Wii (which I bought from CEX) and formatted everything, then connected it to my WiFi and performed a system updated when prompted (note: if its a Wii you use then do not format, just get the system up-to-date by performing a system updated),
(I install Wiishop and Wiiconnect 24 when asked)
On the home-screen click Wii (bottom left corner) – then Wii settings, then go to internet then console information and it shows your MAC ADDRESS , we need this for the next bit.
CREATE A LETTERBOMB HACK AND HOMEBREW CHANNEL
- Visit https://please.hackmii.com/ and select your SYSTEM MENU VERSION , (if you are UK/EURO it will be 4.3e , if you are USA it will be 4.3u , if you are Jap it will be 4.3j)
- Type Your MAC ADDRESS (from previous step) into box (ensure you have “bundle with hackmii installer” box checked)
- Click Im not a robot and wait for the green tick to appear then click anyone of the cut the xx wire boxes (just some geeky fun!) and the LetterBomb.zip should download to your PC.
FORMAT YOUR SD CARD AND INSTALL HOMEBREW CHANNEL
- Insert your chosen SD Card into your PC (I think the limit for Wii cards is 32gb) , then format the SD card to FAT32.
- Extract the downloaded .zip to the root of your SD Card so it looks like the image.
- GO Back to the home-screen on your Wii, and insert the SD CARD
- now go to the WII MESSAGE CENTRE, which is the bottom right Envelope Icon, you should see a red bomb and envelope, if not in todays messages try yesterdays or tomorrows – if you DO NOT see the message then I think your SD Card is not compatible or you have not extracted the .zip to the root.
- Click the ‘letterbomb’ and you will be greeted by a warning screen saying about free and scams, you need to wait for up to 30 seconds and eventually it will tell you to PRESS 1 TO CONTINUE, so press 1 on your WiiMote.
- You are now in the HackMii installer, press A to continue, then use the arrows to move up to INSTALL THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL and then press A, then select YES, CONTINUE when asked to confirm install, once it has installed it will say “SUCCESS” and press A to continue again.
- Now move down to BootMii…. and press A, select INSTALL BOOTMII as an IOS and then confirm continue, then when asked to install as IOS select YES, Continue. it will says “SUCCESS” and now you have the Homebrew Channel Installed.
- Return Back to the main menu (Homescreen) and you will see the HomeBrew Channel.
SO YOU ARE OFFICIALLY HACKED
That is your Nintendo Wii , officially hacked, however there is a little bit more to enable the running of back-ups from your USB drive/stick.
INSTALLING CIOS (IMPORTANT DONT SKIP)
Dont ask me what CIOS is as I dont have a clue, all I know is you need them for playing back-ups and certain applications (such as back-up launchers) need them – so lets get them installed!
- Take the SD Card back out of the Wii, and put it back in your PC
- Download the D2X CIOS installer and extract it to a folder, then go into that folder and copy and paste the apps folder to the root of your sd card, so that the actual ‘apps’ folder is showing in the root, now put the SD Card back into your Wii and open the Homebrew Channel.
- Wait for the app to load. Read the text on the welcome screen (if it interests you) and press A to continue.
4. You will now see the main configuration screen.
- Your cursor ( > ) will be on the cIOS d2x Version. Change the version to v10 beta53 using the D-PAD (left/right).
- Move down, and change the IOS Base to 56.
- Move down again, and change the IOS slot to 249.
- In some cases it may warn you that the current (c)IOS or stub will be overwritten. You can ignore this warning.
- If you want, you can change the revision under the fourth option, though this doesn’t directly change the result.
- This revision is only used by the Wii when checking updates. You can set the version to maximum (65535) to prevent any future updates from overwriting it (the installer can still overwrite it).
- This option does not appear on the WiiU installer.
5. You are now ready to install, so press A to continue. You will land on an overview with the available cIOS slots.
The slot you just selected should be blinking. Several other slots may be highlighted in red or purple, depending on your console and possible previous softmods. Using the directional keys move to the blinking 249
6. Press A to start the installation.
Wait for the progress to complete. It may take a while, especially for the online installation.
7. Once it finishes, you will land on another IOS overview screen.
Your freshly installed cIOS should be highlighted in a green color.
8. Press the A button to go back to the configuration screen.
9. Next, you want to configure the second cIOS. This time, use the following settings:
- d2x version: v10 beta52 (If you are not interested in NAND emulation, you can choose v10 beta53 here as well)
- cIOS base: 57
- cIOS slot: 250.
- cIOS revision: 65535
10. Again, press A to install it moving the cursor this time to the blinking 250 and wait for the process to finish then pressing A to continue until you are back to the main menu.
Once everything is installed, press B to exit the application.
INSTALL A BACK UP LAUNCHER
- Download WiiFlow (this is a USB loader) and WiiFlow channel installer and extract both to the root of your SD Card (on pc)(so the apps folder is root still)
- Put the SD Card back into the Wii and then boot up the HomeBrew Channel, select WiiFlow Channel Installer and then INSTALL CHANNELS, once this is done you can exit all the way back to the system menu, where you will see your new WIIFLOW CHANNEL (basically a shortcut to start WiiFlow) – You’ll see I moved mine about on the Wii, so its at the top.
THE BACK UP LAUNCHER IS INSTALLED…..
ADD SOME GAMES.
Ok so I’m not going to tell you where to get Wii ISO images/Games from, but a simple Internet Search will help…
Im going to use the SD CARD instead of USB Drive for this project, but the concept is the same, you need a bit of software called WII BACKUP MANAGER , which you can download HERE this is to be downloaded and run ON THE PC.
Run Wii Backup Manager, head over to the options and settings and choose the Drive that you want to use, in this case its my J: Drive
A quick guide to use Wii Backup Manger – NOTE: You do NOT need to format the drive as per this video….
Once the game/s is transferred over then you can put the SD Card back into the Wii (or plug the USB Drive into the outer USB socket) and then go into the home menu and click into WiiFlow to play the games. (note there may be a delay in it loading especially if using SD Card).
Thats it you are now hacked and able to play games – in my case ANIMAL CROSSING (the little one loves that game!)