Built on a Raspberry Pi4B 4GB model, with a 256GB SD card (Samsung EVO Select recommended) – there is room to spare, using a 5v 3.5a power supply, and suggested minimum – passive cooling w/heat sink (heat sink to case preferred) – Recommended – Active & passive cooling **install your own Argon script**
We’ll let Schmoomer explain:
Retropie 4.7.2 built on PlayBox V2 by 2Play! The image is built on Playbox v2 as the foundation, provided directly from 2play.
Over 4600 personally selected retro arcade, console, handheld & PC video games – Image designed for couch use.
Concept: I wanted to create a one stop shop as far as retro gaming was concerned. For years I had a
vision of what a bite sized retro gaming console could be but I couldn’t realize it because of the tech or
software limitations – Until now. MANY MANY thanks to the legion of like minded enthusiasts who push
the community, technology and the software forward for all of us to enjoy!
The Pandemic has hurt us all, so I decided to go full steam with building a final product and share it with
the community to hopefully bring back some memories of the good old days while we all get through this
shit. I spent many nights rendering graphics for launching videos, researching and testing how to launch
them the way I wanted, editing audio for videos, rendering graphics, modifying themes, editing game lists,
finding videos and cutting them down to 30sec snaps, copying, backing up, testing, deleting, consulting,
troubleshooting, hiding easter eggs.
I wanted to create something that looked, played and felt commercial quality.
I did all this because I am passionate about games. I’m passionate about what I do. I’m persistent about
my vision. I believe anything can be achieved as long as you push the boundaries. Originally I did this all
for myself but after thinking about it, I just couldn’t not give this to all of you. Some of us are makers,
some of us are gamers and some of us are a bit of both, and it’s with that in mind I hope this image finds
Arcades: – Bezels equipped on Arcade and Neo Geo
• Neo Geo
• You get the drift…
• Atari 2600
• Intellivision (system turned off–hidden, turn on if you want)
• Sega Master System
• Sega Genesis
• Sega CD
• Sega 32X
• Sega Dreamcast
• TurboGrafx–16 & CD (Merged into main folder)
• Neo Geo
• Neo Geo CD
• Sony PlayStation
• Game Boy
• Game Boy Color
• Game Boy Advance
• Game Gear
• Neo Geo Pocket Color
• PlayStation Portable
• PlayStation Mini
• Amiga ready (specifically Rick Dangerious’s set)
Screen Aspect Ratio: I’ve set them ALL to widescreen except arcades and a couple others – Because I like
it that way. Wanna change it? – from most emulators hit select & x at the same time. Press B to back up
one menu, select video options, scaling, change it from 16:9 back to CORE PROVIDED. Don’t forget to
save the configuration from the QUICK MENU if you’d like to keep it that way.
• Unpack the .img file
• Use Etcher or Win32 Disk imager etc to flash the image to your SD card
• Insert the SD card into the RPI
NOTE: Use the HDMI port closest to the power supply
• Turn that bad boy on
• Let it do it’s thing – and be patient, this may take a few minutes. It will start and maybe restart
who knows – just crack a beverage & get ready for some Schmoo!!
• Collections: I’ve done my best to load you up with as many collections as I had the energy for and
they’re ALL enabled from the start so you can see which ones are loaded with selections. Once
you know what ya wanna keep/hide, you can simply hide them from the select menu in
• Schmoomer’s Favorites: Yes there’s a lot. I could actually pick about another 400(yes I have a
problem) – You can hide this collection the same as the others. This collection DOES NOT
INTERFERE with your PERSONAL FAVORITES. That way you can dial-in your own picks the way
YOU like as well.
• Updates: They will happen frequently and safely if you follow as I instruct – see below.
• No Turds: I’ve done my best to make sure all games play, save states work, all that shit. It doesn’t
mean you wont eat some boogers, so when you eat one or have a solution or improvement
contact me and we can implement proper tweaks and fixes and get them out to everyone.
• No Trolls: If there’s a bug, remember, we all do this for free, so be like Fonzy – be cool about it.
Find a solution, make it known to me on discord so we may implement a fix as a team.
• Controllers: It’s currently configured for an XBOX style controller. If you wish to delete ALL
controller configurations, you’ll find those options with HAL-9000.
• Overclocking: Shepherd’s Pie ships OVERCLOCKED & CPU set to PERFORMACE in runcommand
– review your settings.
• HAL-9000: (for slow learners) “options menu”
• Vulkan: Don’t expect miracles. One day at a time yeah??
SOFTWARE & FIRMWARE UPDATES: Instructions on discord.
• PSP: Occational stuttering and some weirdness with emulation. Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary improved
drastically when I updated to latest Vulkan drivers. I’ve kept them included in this release because
I’m hopeful that emulation/software/drivers will improve their play-ability as time moves on. And,
no…., God of War will not play well – yet.
• N64: Hit and miss. I’ve tried to give you a few games that seem to play just fine.
• Genesis: lr-genesis-plus-gx crashes and is quirky on RPI4 currently. When there’s an update for
this I’ll post it. Right now, I have lr-picodrive set as default emulator.
• ARCADE: Some “Bullet Hell” style arcade shmups will be stuttery unless you overclock(see Hal-
9000 for settings) Otherwise you can pretty much run this whole build without overclocking.
• PlayBox v2: PlayBox v2 is it’s own thing. Yes it’s the same retropie you know and love, but it is
LOADED with custom created content and features by 2Play! Shepherd’s Pie is merely built ON
TOP of this to provide you with some great additional tools that otherwise wouldn’t be on here –
There’s many features that you’ll find great, but bare in mind, those features are TAYLORED to his
own build. – so keep your backup copy of Shepherd’s Pie handy in case you break(unlikely) her.
• Shepherd’s Pie & PlayBox v2: What did I change about PlayBox v2 – I have turned off the BGM
player that’s part of PlayBox v2 and installed a different one(Nasprosnia) because of my personal
preference – I have turned off the launching video that is part of PlayBox and installed my own
Schmoomer’s custom created video loading screens(I’ve spend hundreds of hours on these) –
and that is it. I have turned off attract mode (for a reason), a collection script and a couple others
to keep everything lean and mean. Everything else remains intact.
• Booger Eaters: There’s a few booger eaters out there who will bash and say crappy things about
peoples hard work and images instead of trying to be part of the solution. If you know of, or spot
one of these people, It’s best to recommend they build their own image – oh, and stay clear of
them, their negativity is something you don’t need right now. One troll in particular recently tried
eating all the boogers, almost leaving none for anyone else. I am Groot.
Special Mentions: The Schmoo Crew, Lexi(my German Shepherd), my family, 2Play!, Bunter, Nah
Choman, every image maker and everyone who helped me accomplish my vision – especially retro
Some other things worth knowing:
• lr-flycast runs NAOMI and a couple multi-disc Dreamcast games. If you change any
settings, I’d recommend saving GAME OVERRIDE only, rather than CORE or CONTENT.
That way you’ll preserve the screen orientation on these NAOMI games. –I’ve been there–
• Place your gba, nes, snes, genesis rom hacks in the rom folders their corresponding
folders that end in the letter “h” and I’ve already set up the theme to populate and run the
games directly from those folders.
• Instead of adding milk to your scrambled eggs, try sour cream instead! 1Tbsp per 2 eggs.
You’ll love them, and no you don’t the taste sour cream. I learned this from a master chef
and ever since I tried it, I’ve never used milk again.
• Controllers are set up for an xbox style controller but there is a controller reset option in
HAL-9000 if you’d like a clean slate.
• I probably mad typos.
• This image is NOT FOR SALE or RESALE. It is a game preservation only.
Hope you enjoy!
EXTRACT THE RAR ARCHIVE
This image is downloaded in multiple rar parts, you will need WINRAR installed to extract them (yes other programs such as 7zip may work – but this was created with the new RAR4 format which really should be handled by winrar!) – You will need to extract them by simply RIGHT clicking on the first file and EXTRACTING ALL
Download WINRAR HERE (2nd one down x64 bit 6.0)
Available on TORRENT or NZB (Usenet) – Highly advise using USENET to download this, it’ll come SCREAMING down your line if you use one of our approved UseNet suppliers – see this page for more information. Note if your usenet (nzb) client is claiming there is a password then you need to use a different client – we DO NOT share password protected archives unless otherwise informed.
PROBLEM DOWNLOADING THE TORRENT? This is a big download and some torrent clients may report unsupported torrent type, use TIXATI as your torrent download client as it will read the bigger chunks.