Blockchain technology is applied to various sectors due to its fluidity and security. The gaming sector is one of the industries where the presence of Blockchain is making its rounds. With the presence of Blockchain, the gaming industry, more than ever, can now deliver even more to billions of gamers worldwide.
With the presence of Blockchain in gaming, cryptocurrencies are also being introduced to gaming. It has become realizable because blockchain gaming uses the same technology used by cryptocurrencies. Gamers can easily buy Bitcoin and pay for popular games using crypto through a seamless process.
For blockchain gaming to function, it relies on blockchain technology. The introduction of this advanced technology has remodified the outlook and experience of gaming. This new look of the gaming industry serves gamers and developers in many ways. In this article, we look at the presence of Blockchain in gaming and how it’s completely transforming the industry.
How Blockchain Games Operates
One of the popularly used blockchains is Ethereum. Blockchain has been in the crypto space for a while, and it was only a matter of time before it hopped onto other industries like gaming. Today, there’s a surge of Blockchain or play-to-earn games on gaming platforms. Now, how exactly do games use Blockchain to function?
Unlike traditional gaming, blockchain gaming either allows players to play free games and earn or play in crypto to access them. The result is that gamers can now earn assets as they play games. These assets are in the form of NFTs which are cryptos stored on a blockchain, but unlike crypto, NFTs are unique; they appear as artworks, memes, or songs.
In blockchain gaming, these NFTs appear as game items and collectibles. Unlike traditional gaming, blockchain gaming is decentralized. A server does not centrally control them. As such, gamers can easily redeem their collectibles without losing their value.
How Blockchain is Transforming the Gaming Experience
In several ways, Blockchain has introduced several new features which have transformed the gaming experience. Some of them are:
- Gamers now need money to play popular games. Although gamers can earn in return while playing the game, the introduction of pay, play, and earn has changed gaming.
- Players now earn, buy and sell acquired gaming assets in a secure environment.
- Players can also store their virtual assets on the Blockchain without anyone tampering with them.
- Gamers can customize gaming items, develop characters and make them unique.
- Gamers can transfer custom characters to others or trade them on the platform as NFTs.
- Value is assigned to intangible assets and actual money spent trying to acquire them.
All these gaming sector advancements also mean that the cryptocurrency market is evolving. Since gamers are required only to pay, earn and sell via crypto, it solidifies crypto as the recognized digital currency for acquiring collectibles.
Benefits Blockchain Brings to the Game Industry
As with every new technology in a sector, it introduces new ideas that come with benefits. Blockchain has numerous benefits in gaming, and they include
- It’s making gaming more secure and protected from hackers and cyber attacks.
- It guarantees actual ownership of collectibles to gamers
- Players can control the games they like the most
- Gamers can now easily earn in-game assets from playing. The exciting part is that the asset can be traded on the game or converted to cash.
- The payment system is straightforward, secure, and irreversible, and all transactions are transparent.
- Value is now projected on intangible assets.
- Gamers can use a single profile across various gaming platforms.
The presence of Blockchain in gaming is restructuring the face of gaming. It doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere, as it’s shifted gaming away from what it used to be. The question is, is this an all-around positive change to gaming?