HOW TO: Write .img To SD Card
So you’ve downloaded an .img for your Pi – now you need to put that .img on SD Card and boot it in your Pi…..
- Insert your SD card in to your usb card reader or SD Slot, then insert in to your PC
- Format the SD card to Fat32 using SDFormatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ )
- Open Win32 Disk imager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/)
- Make sure you choose the correct drive letter of your SD card in win32 disk imager.
- Press the small icon next to drive letter and find your .img file
- Then click Write. This can take a while to write to your SD
Once its wrote, put the Micro SD into your Pi and your image should boot up
APPLE MAC INSTRUCTIONS
If you have a MAC then you’ll need to grab Apple Pi Baker (https://www.tweaking4all.com/software/macosx-software/macosx-apple-pi-baker/) and follow the similar instructions on the site.