Wow what a month so far! With the release of HyperPie 2 and all these awesome images, then David Marti drops a lightening bolt down from the clouds with the unexpected release of Motion Blue 6 – check out Davids awesome 1 hour video explaining everything from the included PDF right through to the nested folders options on Attract Mode – this is INSANE!!
Welcome to Motion Blue version 6 … something that wasn’t supposed to ever exist! – BUT NOW DOES!!
Motion Blue version 6 is a new base RetroPie image stocked full of new scripts and features. Working with Dwayne Hurst plus a few others, we’ve not only created new utility scripts to make changes quicker, but we’ve also created a lot more graphics content (launching screens, bezels, etc) to easily install and use. Several of the new utilities include a download function so you can also download new content as well. There have already been several content “packs” submitted by people and they’ve been included in the download options. Future content creators can also easily create new ones and have them added into Motion Blue 6’s scripts for others to enjoy as well. The download includes a small PDF document with descriptions for the new features. It’s a long video (lots to demonstrate). Almost 1000 arcade/fba/mame game bezels 100 shared console bezels Launching screens (with downloader for more) AM system wheels and themes (with downloader for more) AM traditional and nested menus supported Background music ES Gamelist utility ES Collections Media removal utility …plus many more features – DAVID MARTI (CREATOR)
DOWNLOAD FROM OUR PI IMAGE DOWNLOAD PAGE
Title=”[4gb] Motion Blue v6 (RetroPie) – 4gb Base Image (No Roms) – Dave Marti″
THE PDF (INCLUDED WITH DOWNLOAD)
There are some differences between prior Motion Blue base images and this new base image.
This new base image is built from the ground up starting with a stock RetroPie base image. All current RetroPie updates are done, Attract Mode is
manually installed with latest, all emulators installed, etc., etc.
I’ve re-arranged some of the folder locations that were originally used…hopefully this makes them more accessible and easier to find.
Here are some folder changes:
/home/pi/.attract/Attract Mode Setup is now —> /home/pi/RetroPie/attractmodemenu
/home/pi/bgm (that music script) is now —> /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/music (now easy to find where to put MP3 files)
There’s a few new folders in /home/pi/RetroPie now also….they are used by the various new ES/AM scripts for stuff.
All scripts have been re-written and are now controlled via a gamepad – no keyboard needed anymore.
Several scripts include download options to download new items (AM layouts, AM wheels, launching screens, etc).
ES gamelist.xml files are NOT pre-installed into their respective /roms/xxx folders. Having them all there means ES has to read them and makes
bootup time slower. The new base image includes a new menu item in the RetroPie menu for installing them….and performing a “clean up” of
them so they will only contain the roms you have.
Attract Mode doesn’t contain nearly as many *Collections* displays. AM now only contains the same collections as the ES Theme does. There’s
still about 40 or so of them though.
The “Attract Mode Setup” display has been renamed to “RetroPie”. This way, it matches the menu system in ES so they have the same look and
feel about them.
Attract Mode now supports a Traditional system menu (all wheels shown on main menu) and a Nested system menu (only shows category wheels
on main menu). The Displays Utility is used to swap between the two.
In Attract Mode, there are five displays that are only used in the Nested mode and should not be enabled to be shown otherwise.
They are: Arcades, Collections, Computers, Consoles, Handhelds
There’s a new menu item in the ES/AM RetroPie menu – RetroPie Reference. It’s a quick reference tool for all things RetroPie.
• Update-to-date versions of RetroPie/Emulation Station/Attract Mode, all emulators pre-installed
• All scripts re-written so now are useable with a gamepad – no keyboard needed
• New scripts for both front-ends
• Emulation Station scripts for quickly generating collection lists and gamelists
• Attract Mode supports traditional and nested main system menu
• Several bezel packs pre-installed
• Several launching screen packs available to download and install
• Several Attract Mode themes and system wheel packs available to download and install
Shared scripts for Emulation Station and Attract Mode that are in the RetroPie menu
• System Info – quick access for some system info (temperature, SD card info, IP address).
• GPIO Shutdown – common GPIO power script pre-installed.
• Background Music – mpg123 background music script pre-installed. Uses /roms/music for MP3 file location.
• Media Removal – remove any media where there is no matching ROM file available
• Bezel Overlays – enable/disable bezels for all Retroarch core based systems
– three different bezel packs included to cover all available Retroarch systems
– almost 1000 arcade/fba/mame game specific bezels
– almost 100 console only game/genre bezels (shared with all consoles)
– handheld systems have three choices depending upon TV/monitor resolution
• Launching Images – enable/disable launching screens for all systems
– script also includes a downloader to download new screen packs
– one pack included with many more already available to download
Emulation Station Only Scripts
• ES Collections – quickly generate new collections for Emulation Station menu
– scans all currently installed ROMs and dynamically makes the collections gamelist
– re-run script when new ROMs are added
– uses special source files with listing of every game for the specific collection
• ES Gamelists – prescraped gamelists are provided, but not already located within the corresponding /roms/xxx folders
– can install them one-by-one as needed
– user chooses ROM filename extension used and the gamelist.xml file will be updated as needed
– cleanup utility to delete entries from the gamelist.xml where there is no matching ROM file
– scraped with all meta data
– setup to use the boxart, snap, wheel subfolders within /roms/xxx folder
Attract Mode Only Scripts
• Displays Utility – quickly configure what system displays to show
– support for switching between a Traditional system wheel (all wheels on main menu)
and a Nested system wheel (only has category wheels on the main menu)
– enable and disable individual system displays to show or not on main system menu
• Favorites – generate special romlist file used by the Favorites display
– generate new file
– remove all favorites
• AM System Configuration – backup and restore Attract Mode system settings
– attract.cfg file
• AM Theme Utility – easy access to switching between different themes (layouts)
– includes downloader to download new themes
– change display themes easily between any installed theme
• AM Systems Wheel Utility – easy access to switching between different main system wheel art packs
– includes downloader to download new system wheel art packs
– change system wheels easily between any installed wheel packs
Image folder directory structure
|—— attractmodemenu scripts and files just for Attract Mode
|—— retropiemenu scripts and files for either Emulation Station alone or both front-ends
|—— splashscreens custom splash screen location
|—— AMRomlists pre-made scraped romlist files for Attract Mode displays
|—— ESGamelists pre-made scraped gamelist.xml files for Emulation Station systems
|—— RetroarchBezels location for the included system bezels for the Bezel Utility to install
|—— LaunchingScreens location for the included launching screens for the Launching Screens utility to install
| |—— retropie Emulation Station gamelist file for the RetroPie menu items
|——configs contains game specific bezel overlay configuration files
|——overlay contains the PNG bezel overlay files
|—ArcadeBezels contains arcade/fba/mame game bezels
|—GameBezels contains console only game bezels
|—— emulators emulator configuration files
|—— layouts Attract Mode layouts/themes
|—— mame-config additional files for MAME/FBA when generating a romlist
|—— menu-art displays menu media files (system preview snaps and wheel art)
|—— romlists romlist file location
|—— sounds includes some mp3 files used for menu GUI navigation
|—— attract.cfg Attract Mode configuration file (config file for the GUI itself)
New (and old) menu items/scripts found in the RetroPie menu.
Emulation Station and Attract Mode Both
This script will display the current Pi temperature, SD card information, and IP address information.
GPIO Shutdown Utility
The common GPIO power script is already installed and setup for pins 5 and 6. This utility can easily enable or disable the script from running.
Background Music Utility
The common mpg123 background music script is already installed and setup. It uses the following folder for MP3 files.
This script will allow easy disable/enable of playing the music by renaming that folder to music_disable to disable it.
Remove Media Utility
This script is used to remove excess media files that do not have a matching rom associated with them.
Bezel Overlays Utility
This script is used to enable/disable bezel overlays for any of the Retroarch based systems.
The handheld systems have three choices each – depending upon the TV resolution being used.
There are three different bezels packs included.
There are also over 950 MAME/FBA game specific bezels and 100 console game/genre bezels (used by all consoles).
Launching Screens Utility
Launching (or loading) screens are displayed for a few seconds after initial launching a game to play. These screens are seen for a few seconds
then the game itself starts.
This utility is used to easily install or remove these images.
The utility also has a new downloader built-in to download new launching screen packs. There are several choices already available and the
script can be updated from within itself to pull down new listings for launching screen packs.
New launching screen packs can be submitted by end users, hosted on Github, to be included in the downloader.
To create new launching screens yourself to be used with the installer, follow this folder structure. If you wish to have it included in the
downloader, you will need to upload it to a Gitub account for hosting it.
|— foldername (this is the main parent folder – name it appropriately with NO spaces in the name)
| |— emulator (this folder is named the same as what is found in /opt/retropie/configs directory)
| |— launching.png
|— emulator (this folder is named the same as what is found in /opt/retropie/configs directory)
Each emulator has it’s own launching.png image file.
Emulation Station Only
ES Collections Utility
This script, accessed via the RetroPie menu, will dynamically create new collection gamelist files that are used within Emulation Station’s new
The script will scan all of the /roms folders looking for specific games for that collection. When found, it’ll make an entry in the gamelist list that is
used to show games in the Collections menus.
These gamelist files are stored here:
The script will create and/or update these files. As you add and remove roms, periodically re-run this script to keep the collection’s gamelist file
Emulation Station Gamelist Utility
This script performs two functions.
1. install pre-made gamelist.xml files
2. cleanup the gamelist.xml files and remove all entries that do not have any matching rom file
The included ZIP package contains pre-made gamelist.xml files for many of the supported systems within RetroPie for Emulation Station to use.
These pre-made gamelist.xml files are fully scraped and contain (almost) every game available and are setup to use the PNG and MP4 media files
in the four media subfolders mentioned above. These special gamelist.xml files contain linkage to the boxart, snap, and wheel subfolders for
game media files.
This utility allows you to quickly and easily install any of the pre-made gamelist.xml files for the various systems. During installation, chose the
appropriate ROM filename extension used by the ROM files.
Once the gamelist.xml files are installed and roms/media files have been copied over…you can then run the secondary function of this script.
This utility will perform an audit on all of the rom files and parse through the gamelist.xml file and find all of the matching entries. It will remove all
of the entries for games that do not exist.
What is left is a gamelist.xml file that only contains entries for the rom files that are available.
By deleting out all of the entries for games that you do not have a matching rom file for, it will speed up the bootup process for Emulation Station.
Emulation Station cycles through every gamelst.xml file looking for matching roms on every bootup. Having less entries for it to cycle through and
find roms for speeds up the initial startup time.
Caution: for systems that have large romsets (like mame/fba) with thousands of roms, this script will take awhile to run!
You can monitor it’s progress with this file: /tmp/remove.txt
Attract Mode Only
This script is used to HIDE or SHOW the various displays on the Attract Mode system selection wheel.
It also allows the user to swap between a Traditional system wheel (all wheels on main menu) and a Nested system wheel (only has category
wheels on the main menu).
When using the Nested mode … assign “menu” named themes to the following displays.
Displays Menu ( main system menu)
This script is used to generate the Attract Mode romlist file used by the Favorites display. It is composed from the *.tag files for each display of the
games that have been tagged as favorites.
AM System Configuration Utility
This script is used to backup and restore the Attract Mode configuration files. This script backs up the emulator configuration files, the romlist
files, and the attract.cfg file.
The backup files are located here:
AM Theme Utility
This script is used to download new Attract Mode layouts (themes) as well as change your current layouts on a mass scale instead of changing
each display individually.
New layouts can be submitted by end users, hosted on Github, to be included in the downloader. Several layouts are already available.
AM System Wheels Utility
This script is used to download new system wheel art sets that are used for the system selection display menu. Several choices are already
It also has the option for quickly switching to another wheel art set.
The extra wheels, when downloaded, are stored here.
New system wheel sets can be submitted by end users, hosted on Github, to be included in the downloader.
DOWNLOAD FROM OUR PI IMAGE DOWNLOAD PAGE
Title=”[4gb] Motion Blue v6 (RetroPie) – 4gb Base Image (No Roms) – Dave Marti″