The Retropie devs have just announced over on their blog that Retropie 4.6 has been released, and it officially now supports Raspberry Pi 4 , even though the its still in its BETA stages, it is an official release! Here our friend and fellow Punk KIO DIEKIN checks out his first thoughts…
We are marking the Raspberry Pi 4 image as beta for now – primarily as there are still some things to improve on, but most packages run well. Please do try it, and report any issues to our forum
This is standard text for ANY new release, it is not “mass testing” so expect updates much sooner than usual!
Changes since 4.5
- Raspberry Pi 4 support! Support is labelled as beta currently as there are still things to improve, but most emulators now run well.
- The RetroPie images are now based on Raspbian Buster – Stretch is no longer supported by Raspberry Pi (Trading) ltd. RetroPie will stop updating pre-built binaries for Stretch later in the year.
- Improvements to RetroPie packaging system and core RetroPie-Setup code so package state is remembered and binary updates will only be done if an updated binary is available. Source installs won’t be overwritten by a pre-built binary when updating also. We started providing pre-built binaries for the packages in the experimental section for the supported platforms.
- RetroArch updated to v1.8.5.
- New notification system with cheevos badges support.
- RGUI can be themed.
- Support for real CD ROM, with the ability to dump the disc image.
- Improved disk control system, with support for labeling disks in .m3u files.
- RetroAchievements support for PS1/Sega CD/PCEngine CD.
- EmulationStation updated to v2.9.1.
- Scraper fixes for the TheGameDBNet.
- Grid view improvements and bugfixes.
- Theming improvements.
- New options for “disable system name on custom collections” and “save gamelist metadata after each modification”.
- Added videomode switching support to runcommand for KMS and X11 targets. SDL2 applications only.
- Added ioquake3 module for platforms other than Raspberry Pi 1-3.
- Replaced zdoom with lzdoom as zdoom is no longer maintained.
- amiberry – updated to 3.1.3 including ipf support.
- stella – updated to 6.0.1.
- SDL updated to 2.0.10 with rpi4/kms fixes.
- solarus – lots of updates to modernise the port.
- eduke32 – major overhaul including adding package for IonFury.
- zesarux – updated to v8.0.
- cgenius – updated to v2.3.6.
- drastic – update to 22.214.171.124 with RPI4 compatibility.
- scummvm – updated to v2.1.1.
- atari800 – updated to v4.2.0 (lr-atari800 config has been moved to lr-atari800.cfg to avoid conflicting)
- lr-mupen64plus / lr-mupen64plus-next – enable GLES3 support on rpi4.
- lr-opera – renamed from lr-4do.
- Sonic Robo Blast – updated to 2.2.
- Lots of other fixes and improvements.
- Added new experimental modules.
- vvvvvv – Port of the popular platform / puzzle game VVVVVV.
- lr-neocd – Neo Geo CD emulator.
- redream – Dreamcast emulator for the Raspberry Pi 4.