Following on from his version 2 Attract Mode Hyperspin Clone for the Raspberry Pi, Sergio announced on the Arcade Punks forum that he has brought us this awesome build, the v3 Attract Mode Hyperspin clone for the Raspberry Pi 3….
Changelog (from v2 to v3):
- Image increased (need minimum 64 GB sdcard)
- Attract Mode updated to version v2.6.1 (Linux, SFML 2.4.2 +FontConfig +GLES +SWF +Curl) avcodec 58.77.101 / avformat 58.42.100 / swscale 5.6.101 / avutil 56.42.102 / swresample 3.6.100.
- RPi updated until 01/04/2020
- RPi RAM shared: 512MB Video / 512MB System (Still no overclock)
- Fixed the “Reset Controller” script;
- Fixed ScummVM script issue;
- Fixed OpenBOR slowlyness
- Added Kodi
- Added Steam Link (can play PC Games, but the RPi3 must be wired, because wifi can´t handle and keep dropping the connection) – Added Doom and mods (lr-prboom) (like individual games – need keyboard to configure)
- Added Quake and mods (lr-quake) (like individual games – need keyboard to configure)
- Added Quake 3 Arena (need keyboard to configure)
- Added more games to arcade (now there is about 1.6k games)
- Added SegaCD games
- Added PSX games (there is more than 160 games)
- Added NDS games
- Added Openbor games
- Added PSP games
- Arcade: new filters for the publishers:
- Modified the collections layout to show the respective system (ordered by year): – The mkarcade driver is disabled. You can enable in retropie > drivers
- The image won’t work with the RPI4, so don’t download because you will waste time.
- My system is a RPi3B, with a 64gb class 10 sdcard and will work with RPi 3B+
- The mkarcade driver, that allow you to use GPIO controller, was modified to recognize 2 controllers, but that modified file prevents you to get the update script, so I made 2 backups: the mkarcade.sh.bkp is the modified file and the mkarcadr.sh.original is the original file. If you need to update the script,delete the mkarcade file, update the system,then restore the modified file.
- The Nintendo DS emulator needs a keyboard for controller configuration. Since the DS is just for 1 person, you can configure both controllers to 1 player, if is that the case.
- The OpenBor emulator also needs a keyboard to first configure the controllers.
- Doom, Quake and Quake 3 need keyboard to configure
- The system is very heavy, so it is not so fluid, but has a good speed.
- Ocasional crashes are expected, because AttractMode is heavy and resource hungry. If it happens, you can press in a keyboard “crtl+c” to shutdown AttractMode, then type “sudo reboot” and press enter, to preserve the system.
- Some layouts are very heavy SWF, so a slowdown will be noticiable.
- The RPi-3B still get really hot and ocasionally will crash.
- You WILL NEED a cooling method (large heatsinks or fans) to the temp get around 55-60 Celsius and a good power source.
- The image was conceived for 64GB card, almost ready to use, but can be used in any sdcard and be increased to higher storage and add new games and arts.
- The system has romlists for most plataforms (less openbor, amiga and Scummvm), so If you add a game they should immediately show in the wheel (if has the original name
- check romlist for the name
- usually the rom has the same name of the art that you will find in the internet), but you will need to add the art and vídeo into the respective folders.
- The romlists (in the case of Amiga, Openbor and ScummVM) need to be remade every time you add a new game.
- I recommend to add roms through WinSCP, because RPi3B has many WIFI drops .Https://winscp.net/eng/download.php
- To reencode the vídeos I suggest Handbreak: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
- To create or modify Hyperspin themes, use Hypertheme, thats part of the Hyperspin installation pack: https://hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/17585-hyperspin-151-full-package/
- To download the arts, I recommend the torrent from the Hyperpie Project: https://files.hyperpie.appboxes.co/HyperPie-v2-Media_Pi_Version.torrent, but you can download also from emumovies and hyperspin.fe
- The image was compressed with 7zip (https://www.7-zip.org/download.html) and Winrar
A) BURNING THE IMAGE – Download the image and burn to the sdcard. I use Win32DiskImager: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ – Place the sdcard in your RPi, connect a keyboard, the HDMI and then the power source to load the system. – You will need a keyboard connected to the RPi until configure the controller.
B) CONFIGURING THE WIFI – Once you configure the controller go to “Attract Mode” menu. There go to “Wifi configuration” and configure the Wifi.
C) EXPANDING THE SYSTEM TO USE THE WHOLE SDCARD – Go to “Raspberry Pi” > Advanced Settings > Expand Filsystem
D) CONFIGURING CONTROLLERS
– Go to bluetooth if you want to set bluetooth controllers.
– If you will use GPIO controllers, enable mkarcade driver. Just go to Attract Mode Setup> Retropie> drivers and install the mkarcade driver. – Then, go either “Emulation Station” or “Reset Controllers” to set the in game controllers. The reset controllers option will erase any pre-set emulator/game configuration.
E) CONFIGURING THE CONTROLLER TO USE IN THE MENU – When the system loads press TAB. Will show a black screen written “Configure”, select “Controls” This will open a control configuration tab for THE ATTRACTMODE MENU, this will not work in games.
F) Changing the aspect ratio of games
– If you want change the Aspect Ratio to 4:3 or 16:9 of your games you have to go to > Atrratc Mode > “Configuration editor”
FIXES AND TUTORIALS
I made lots of videos on fixes and tutorials on this image on my YouTube Channel
Dedicated Support Form with SergioHyperspin in… HERE